Thursday, November 1, 2007

Happy November 1st!

I'll tell you the truth, I'm glad Halloween is over. Never been a favorite holiday and now we get down to the good stuff! Penny at Lavender Hill is asking about our favorite Thanksgiving traditions so I thought I would share mine. Some of my favorite Thanksgiving memories are from when the girls were little. We still host the holiday at our house every year but when they were little EVERYONE was there, sometimes right down to aunts uncles & cousins and sometimes their guests! Now heres the thing, our dining room is 12x14, not huge. We have had up to 23 people around our humble table on these occasions and it was easier when the children were little because you could squeeze them here and there and at the childrens table. Not so easy now that they are adult size! We are fortunate to have a beautiful antique table that stretches to 104" long, and we put it corner to corner in the room. We always have everyone bring their favorite dish but Earl does the turkey & stuffing (cornbread with pecans and dried cranberries) and his specialty pumpkin/ chocolate swirl cheesecake. We have pumpkin and pecan pie too and his sister Karen brings home baked rolls and we always have too much to eat and tons left over. When the kids were little we did Christmas crafts with them after dinner and then all sat around talking and trying not to fall asleep. it is always a fun family day and we dont care if we are all a little crowded because we love each other and we love our kids:>) Can you see why I love it? It is a great time to be thankful for all we have and our wonderful families and a great kick-off to the best season of all!
On another note, tomorrow Melissa at the Inspired Room is hosting a satellite party for The Blissful and hosting a great surprise give-away! Run over there and check it out because it promises to be a fun and beautiful start to the holidays! I know I'm going:>)

15 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! Wish we had Thanksgving here, you have made us hungry!!! Lovely for everyone to catch up and really enjoy themselves! Have a lovely day! Jenn and Jacqui :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Halloween is fun, but not my favorite. Thanksgiving on the other hand is! I believe it is because of all the wonderful memories of so many lovely feasts with a house full of family.

    Thanks for the heads-up about the party at Melissa's. I will certainly attend.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kathy, your Thanksgiving traditions sound wonderful! None of my family is really nearby, and my husband's family is going through a lot of illness and problems lately, so the past few holidays have been just the four of us! Beautiful picture, and thanks for sharing!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you were just the Holiday spank I needed to get into the spirit! What a beautiful post! :)

    I miss coming here daily :( Thank you for thinking of me and stopping by and saying HI

    *muah*
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Canada halloween and Thanksgiving celebrations are over and now are gearing up for the Christmas season!
    I am checking blogs for lots of ideas on decorating and of course recipes..
    Your Thanksgiving celebrations sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love thanksgiving as well, thatnks for sharing your tradition or favorite things with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, am so glad to see Nov. 1st. I'm so looking forward to our family being here for Thanksgiving and I am dying to see the recipe of your hubby's dressing. It sounds so yummy and I would LOVE to do a new dressing this year.
    Happy Day,
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy! I am so glad Halloween is over too!!! And I also love Thanksgiving! Your tradition sounds wonderful! I love how close you all are. So beautiful with the way the world is today! Your girls will treasure it forever too I am sure!

    Much love,
    MAmy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving traditions. Sounds wonderful. I miss those big family get togethers. It's so wonderful to create those family traditions and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, before I started blogging, I never won a thing in my life! The generosity and kindness of people in blogland just blows my mind!! It is so hard to believe. I am so thankful for the wonderful friendship of everyone I have met blogging.

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new banner!
    And Tom turkey is so cute...
    Nothing like a happy family and lots of good food. I miss my daddy! Wonder how many thousands of times I've typed that on comments...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was ready for Halloween to be over too. Love your post and and your family traditions. Your new header is great and I love the turkey. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's soooo pretty in here! The picture of the ceramic turkey on the buffet just looks so warm and homey. Thanksgiving is such a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmm.... that pumpkin/chocolate swirl cheesecake sounds mighty good! Do you ever share your recipes? I would love to have that one!!! Your holidays sound warm and inviting - and your pumpkin burger is the best - Great Blog!!! Happy Thanksgiving - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy,

    I am loving that turkey at the top of your post and of course all your traditions as well. Isn't Thanksgiving just the best?
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)